The Sir Robert Christopher Almshouses Charity was founded in 1668 following the death of Sir Robert Christopher. He left money in his will for building work to help house the poor. His daughter carried out his wishes and six almshouses were consequently built in 1670, now four Grade II listed properties.
To bring the properties into the 21st Century and restore them to their former glory, an appeal went out and fundraising began. The charity received a grant from The Homes & Communities Agency (HCA), a contribution from the National Almshouse Association, and raised enough money locally and nationally to fund the project for which Taylor Pearson Construction were awarded the contract.
The works comprised of renovation and extensions of the existing properties, including stripping out, re-roofing works, traditionally-built extensions, new electrics, plumbing, plastering and finishes.